Tax credits are ending and most people will need to apply for Universal Credit to continue to receive benefits.

Look out for a letter called a Universal Credit Migration Notice from the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) explaining what you’ll need to do, and by when.  It is important that you follow the instructions in this letter and claim Universal Credit by the date stated otherwise your benefits will stop. You will still need to do this even if you have just renewed your tax credits claim.

If you are claiming tax credits and are aged 65 or over, DWP will write to you to ask you to apply for Universal Credit or Pension Credit, depending on your circumstances.  

Most tax credits customers are eligible for Universal Credit but if you need help to prepare for the switchover you can find information on available support by clicking here.

What is Universal Credit?

Universal Credit is available for people in work, looking for work or unable to work. It brings together six older benefits giving you the financial support you are entitled to in one place.

As part of your Universal Credit claim you may be eligible for financial support to cover housing and childcare costs. For those looking to get into work or improve work skills you will receive tailored guidance on improving your skills and progressing at work to help you support your family.

Universal credit payments adjust automatically in line with your income to make sure you get the financial support you need. So if you find yourself out of work unexpectedly, your Universal Credit payment will adjust automatically to support you. And if you want to take on more work, you may still be eligible for Universal Credit to make it financially worthwhile.

If you need help or advice you can contact our Money Matters Team:

You can read more detailed advice about moving from Tax Credits to Universal Credit from The Department of Work and Pensions by clicking here.