Do you have what it takes to join our Board?
Do you have what it takes to join our board?
We're looking for a new Chair of the Board and two Non-executive Directors.
- Chair of the Board (EMA: 297) – remunerated up to £11k plus reasonable expenses;
- Non-executive Director and Chair of the Audit Committee (EMA:298) - voluntary plus reasonable expenses;
- Non-executive Director (EMA:299) - voluntary plus reasonable expenses.
Rochdale Boroughwide Housing (RBH) is the UK’s first tenant and employee co-owned mutual housing society, placing members, tenants and employees at the heart of decision making to provide better places for everyone to live and work.
2017 sees the fifth anniversary of an independent RBH, following the transfer of homes from Rochdale Council, and we have a very clear sense of our future purpose. Committed to independence and mutuality, we aim to remain rooted in Rochdale, its people and its places – working closely with other local partners and at scale with Greater Manchester partners when this will deliver clear benefits locally.
Already recognised as a key local anchor institution, we want to build on this, developing a range of housing products and a quality and mix of offer which meets the needs and aspirations of local people and supports local economic growth. Tailoring our role to suit the different circumstances in neighbourhoods, we will be efficient, agile, creative and resilient.
We now have opportunities for individuals who share our mutual values and ambitions for Rochdale to join our Board. Our Chair will provide the leadership required to shape and inform our key strategic decisions. This role will position you at the heart of our organisation, and our community. Engaging and authoritative, you will be an effective ambassador for RBH, with the ability to persuade, influence and win the confidence of a hugely diverse set of stakeholders.
We also have opportunities for two Non-executive Directors to join our team. We are particularly interested to hear from people who can bring expertise in housing, governance, or financial management. It’s a chance to apply your professional expertise and commercial acumen to help us deliver mutual benefit for all members of our community.
For an informal discussion, please contact Ian Robertson at EMA on 01926 887272. Details of how to apply are on this page.
The closing date for applications is 12noon, Friday 28th April 2017.
How To Apply
Thank you for expressing an interest in joining the RBH Board. If you would like to apply, please submit an up-to-date Curriculum Vitae and covering letter, together with an RBH monitoring form which you can download from the application pack, ensuring that you quote the following reference numbers depending on the post you apply for:
- Chair – EMA: 297
- Non-executive Director and Chair of Audit Committee – EMA:298
- Non-executive Director – EMA:299
It is important that your CV highlights supporting evidence of how your previous experience and skills relate to the competencies outlined in the job role profile. Your covering letter (maximum of 3 pages) should be used to convey why you are attracted to this role and how your experience will be able to develop RBH. The covering letter is considered an important aspect of your application and will be used to assess your motivation for the role.
The timetable for the Selection Process is included below. In your supporting letter, please advise us if you have any difficultly with the outlined dates and/or any other dates when you are unavailable for assessment. We try to offer flexibility but it can be difficult to convene the selection panel outside the advertised selection dates due to diary commitments.
Please return your application by Friday 28th April 2017 at 12 noon (electronic submissions preferred) to our retained consultants at EMA Business and Management Consultancy Limited (EMA) to firstname.lastname@example.org. Your application will be treated with strictest confidence.
If you wish to send a hard-copy by post, the full address is: EMA Business and Management Consultancy Limited, 13 Dormer Place, Leamington Spa, Warwickshire, CV32 5AA.
Please find below the eligibility and monitoring form together with some information about the role and about RBH which you may find useful. It would be helpful to read the covering letter from the Chair of the Board Noel Chambers and the Chair of the Representative Body Lynne Brosnan first.
- 1 - Advertisement Text.pdf [pdf] 85KB
- 2a - Covering Letter 2017.pdf[pdf] 379KB
- 2b - How to Apply.pdf[pdf] 39KB
- 3 - Chair Role Profile - EMA 297.pdf [pdf] 355KB
- 4 - NeD Role Profile - EMA 298 & 299.pdf [pdf] 355KB
- 5 - Eligibility and Monitoring Information.docx [docx] 46KB
- 6 - A guide to the RBH Governance Structure.pdf [pdf] 81KB
- 7 - Our Mutual Future - RBH Corporate Strategy 15-18.pdf [pdf] 2MB
- 8 - Social Housing Made Mutual.pdf [pdf] 721KB
- 9 - RBH Board Terms of Reference.pdf [pdf] 57KB
- 10 - Membership Matters February 2017.pdf [pdf] 3MB
- 11- RBH Board Biographies April 2017.pdf [pdf] 224KB
- 12 - RBH Future Purpose.pdf [pdf] 23KB
- 13 - CLES report - RBH Anchoring A Good Society.pdf [pdf] 27KB
All applications will be considered and assessed against the requirements of the Role Profile in order to select an initial long list of candidates. If you have been successful at this stage EMA will contact you via telephone/email immediately following the initial longlisting meeting with RBH.
- Closing date: Friday 28th April at 12 noon
- First interviews: between 17th May and 19th May 2017
- Final interviews: between 30th May and 1st June 2017
If you have any queries about the position or the selection process; or if you would like an informal and confidential discussion with our consultant, please do not hesitate to contact Ian Robertson at EMA on 01926 887272.